One of the most popular vacation places in Maine, Cape Elizabeth is to some beautiful beaches, interesting light houses, and parks. It was first discovered by Europeans in the early 1600, and later became a prominent trading post. It was originally named Purpoodock, but later renamed, and the newer name has remained ever since.
There are a variety of activities for tourists in Cape Elizabeth that include some of the following items:
1. Fort Williams was established in 1899, which was originally an artillery base, and it was built as a guard for the entrance to Portland on the south side.
2. One of the most famous lighthouses in the area is called the Portland Head Light Station. President George Washington directed the building of this lighthouse, which was completed in 1791, and is one of the most historic sites in the area.
3. With the nearby coastline, there are opportunities for fishing, sailing, kayaking, canoeing, and generally enjoying the water sports that are available.
4. Crescent Beach State Park and Two Lights State Park are both excellent places to get back to nature with a hike along a marvelous trail, or a simple picnic in one of the most scenic areas of the country.
5. Campers and RVers will find excellent facilities for tourists who prefer true getting back to nature, and there are a variety of camp grounds and RV parks in the area.
There are a great many outdoor activities in Cape Elizabeth, Maine, that travelers from all over will enjoy.