Although the initial villa was built in the 1st Century AD, the complex underwent several renovations during its lifetime. Sometime around 150 AD, a bathing room with a Roman hypocaust (underfloor heating) system was added along with extra rooms. Soon after, the villa was apparently abandoned before being refurbished in approximately 290 AD.
The villa reached its largest extent during the 3rd Century, with its own temple, a family mausoleum, a granary, and larger bathing facilities. Beautiful mosaic floors decorated the interior, especially in the dining room. Many of these still survive today.
Lullingstone appears to have been razed by a fire in the 5th Century and was abandoned. Excavations took place from 1940, uncovering one of Britain's best-preserved Roman villas. The ruins are now protected by an enclosed building.