The Paramount Theater in Charlottesville is a historic landmark here. It was built in 1931 and is the venue of several live art performances. It was opened to the public in 1931 and was touted as being one of the last of the lavish "movie palaces" of cinema's golden age. It has excellent acoustics and sight lines for which it has become an integral part of people's lives in Virginia.

The theater's mission is to educate its patrons, apart from enlightening, enriching and enchanting them. The theater company is also committed to present a wide spectrum of the performing arts, education and entertainment for popular enjoyment.

It was designed by the Chicago architects' firm, Rapp & Rapp, and was built by Percival Hunter Faulconer and Hollis Rinehart. It was built as homage to Thomas Jefferson in Charlottesville, since that was his birthplace. Its façade style is Georgian and it has an elegant lobby, fantastic chandeliers and exquisitely designed seats with 18th century colonial scenes of life painted on silk panels. It also has an ornately designed auditorium.

It did exceedingly well during the Depression but eventually shut shop in 1974. This Paramount Theater in Charlottesville is the last of its chain in the Commonwealth of Virginia. It is located in the heart of the town's Downtown Mall. In 1992, some community leaders bought The Paramount Theater and set up The Paramount Theater, Inc. it took 18 months' of renovation and restoration. After this, it was opened to the public in 2004.