One of the most popular tourists' destinations is Nantucket Island just off the coast of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and an incredible place to visit in the summer months. The island measures around 47 square miles and because of the prevalence of fog, was often referred to as the 'Grey Lady', and it was settled in 1641, although it's believe the Vikings first arrived sometime in the 11th century. Before the Europeans settled the island, the Wampanoag tribe inhabited the island. The shape of the island is somewhat of a boomerang and it is surrounded by the beautiful blue Atlantic waters and many spectacular beaches.
There are plenty of activities for the tourists on Nantucket Island, some that include:
• Beautiful beaches and great beaches dominate the main activity of this beautiful island, and there are various ones to select, both crowded with numerous activities and some that are more secluded.
• For the seafarers in the crowd, deep sea fishing, and whale watching are some of the most popular ways to spend a fabulous day.
• For those who love museums, the Whaling Museum is a must see, as are the variety of art galleries that have been present for nearly a century.
• There are several lighthouses that are worth seeing including the Jethro Coffin and the Brant Point lighthouses near the harbor.
• Finally, the Historic District is full of great places to shop and wonderful places to dine.
Nantucket Island has plenty of entertainment for all ages.