< Return to Classy Travel

Venice Attractions

Top 52 things to see and do in Venice

Venice is a place of never-lasting wonder and things to discover. When thinking about Venice, we naturally have images of its canals and a fascination to imagine how everything came together over history. However, there is also a lot more to the "floating city" than its majestic and poetic canals. Here is a list of the best tourist attractions in Venice. It also includes an extensive list of palazzos (palaces) that you can admire when floating through the waterways.

Venice tourist map

Venice attractions map
  • Canals of Venice thumbnail
    A view of the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy.
    Red five person icon

    Thanks to its canals, Venice is known to be one of the most magical places on earth. The city is a testament to the ingenuity of the human spirit and man-made invention. Stone buildings of great beauty sit on the water; boats of varying sizes traverse the canals the way cars, trucks, and buses crowd the streets of more conventional cities; crowds throng the bridges and narrow pedestrian streets.

    Although there are plenty of famous landmarks to feast your eyes on in Venice, its canals are rightfully considered to be one of the world's top attractions. Incidentally, of all Venice attractions, the channels are the most well-known ...

    Read more about the Canals of Venice

  • St. Mark's Basilica thumbnail
    St. Mark Basilica's facade in Venice, Italy.
    Red five person icon

    The Basilica di San Marco ('Saint Mark's Basilica' in English), right next to Saint Mark's Square and near the Doge's Palace, is the most famous of Venice churches is among the world's best-known examples of Byzantine architecture. Today, the basilica is considered a living monument to the heritage of the Byzantine, Roman, and Venetian cultures.

    The Basilica di San Marco has gone through many changes in its 1200-year history. It was initially constructed as a temporary building in 828 for housing holy relics of Saint Mark the Evangelist, believed to have authored Mark's Gospel. These were transported from their discovered location in Alexandria, Egypt, in 829. A permanent church was erected and consecrated in 832—this was rebuilt after being damaged by fire in 976 due to a revolt against the then Doge (leader) of Venice, Candiano IV ...

    Read more about the St. Mark's Basilica

  • 7.6 /10
    Rialto Bridge thumbnail
    A picture of the Rialto Bridge in Venice, Italy.
    Red five person icon

    The Rialto Bridge is the oldest of the four bridges that cross the Grand Canal in Venice. It is approximately located in the center of the main island of Venice. When walking from the train station towards Piazza San Marco,  it is most likely one of the first tourist attractions to be recognized.

    It began as a floating pontoon bridge built by Nicolò Barattieri in the late-12th century and was named Ponte della Moneta due to its proximity to the mint's entrance. 

    As traffic began to increase when the Rialto market flourished on the canal's eastern bank, the pontoon was replaced by a more permanent wooden bridge in 1255 ...

    Read more about the Rialto Bridge

  • Ca' d'Oro (Palazzo Santa Sofia) thumbnail
    Water view of the Ca' d'Oro in Venice, Italy.
    Yellow three person icon

    Officially titled Palazzo Santa Sofia, the Ca’ d’Oro (or “Golden House”) is one of Venice’s oldest palaces on the Grand Canal. It was nicknamed due to the gilt and polychrome decorations that once adorned the walls, with delicate marble filigree by Bartolomeo Bon on the façade that would have made an undeniably impressive vision.

    The Ca’ d’Oro was built by architects Giovanni Bon and his son, Bartolomeo Bon, between 1428 and 1430 for the wealthy Contarini family. It changed ownership numerous times following the Venetian Republic's fall in 1797, with the ballet dancer Marie Taglioni and the baron Giorgio Franchetti both once owning it ...

    Read more about the Ca' d'Oro (Palazzo Santa Sofia)

  • Teatro La Fenice thumbnail
    Interior view of the La Fenice Theatre in Venice, Italy.
    Orange four person icon

    Teatro La Fenice is an opera-theatre house located in the heart of Venice. It was here that some of the most celebrated operas were premiered during the 19th century, including those by composers such as Verdi, Bellini and Rossini. It is one of the most famous theatre in Italy.

    Teatro La Fenice was constructed from 1790 to 1792 to replace the Teatro San Benedetto that had burned to the ground, with the name “La Fenice” (not 'La Venice'), referring to the opera company’s survival. It was inaugurated with an opera by Giovanni Paisiello entitled “I Giochi d’Agrigento”, with the libretto crafted by Alessandro Pepoli ...

    Read more about the Teatro La Fenice

  • The Iconic Gondola thumbnail
    One of the famous gondolas in Venice, Italy.
    Red five person icon

    Venice's iconic symbol, gondolas, are a traditional, flat-bottomed rowing boat that was once the preferred means for Venetians to get around the city’s canals. These wooden boats are made by hand in special workshops known as squeri, with some still in operation today. A ride in one of these remains one of the top things to do in Venice by tourists.

    During the 17th and 18th centuries, it is estimated that there were between eight and ten thousand gondolas in the city, with vaporetti now the main means of getting around. Of the few hundred gondolas that remain, most are used in festival parades and local rowing competitions or by tourists wanting Venice's romantic perspective ...

    Read more about the The Iconic Gondola

  • Scuola Grande di San Rocco thumbnail
    Facade view of the Scuola Grande di San Rocco in Venice, Veneto, Italy.
    Yellow three person icon

    Dating to the 16th century, the Scuola Grande di San Rocco is one of the most beautiful buildings in Venice. It was constructed from white marble to house a charitable society dedicated to San Rocco, regarded by many as a protector against the plague. It was designed like most other scuole in Venice, with two halls (one on the ground floor and the other above), with a staircase and landing topped by a dome connecting the two. Numerous architects worked on the building, including Bartolomeo Bon and his son Petro, as well as Sante Lombardo, Antonio Scarpagnino and Giangiacomo dei Grigi,

    In 1564, soon after the scuola’s completion, the artist Tintoretto was commissioned to paint a central panel on the ceiling of the Sala dell’Albergo ...

    Read more about the Scuola Grande di San Rocco

  • 7.6 /10
    Ca' Rezzonico thumbnail
    A close view of the Ca' Rezzonico Palace in Venice.
    Yellow three person icon

    Located on the Grand Canal in the Dorsoduro sestiere, Palazzo Rezzonico (also known as Ca' Rezzonico) is an opulent palace that provides a fascinating glimpse into 18th-century Venetian life. It was designed by the Baroque architect Baldassare Longhena, but not completed until 1756 (almost 100 years later) by Giorgio Massari.

    The palace is set across three stories, with an opulent marble façade facing the Grand Canal and ornate Baroque decorations. Massari remained true to the original plans of Longhena, only adding a few of his own design elements to reflect architectural developments since the palazzo’s conception.

    The Palazzo Rezzonico opened as a museum in 1936, bringing together objects from other palaces across Venice ...

    Read more about the Ca' Rezzonico

  • Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari thumbnail
    Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari Church in Venice, Veneto, Italy.
    Yellow three person icon

    Situated on the Campo dei Frari at the center of the neighborhood-district of San Polo, the Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari is an important church in Venice. Affectionately known as the “Frari”, construction began on the church around 1340 by the Franciscans and its immense campanile (the second tallest in the city) was completed in 1396.

    The Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari is constructed from brick and one of three Venetian churches built in the Italian Gothic style. It is the only church in the city to still contain its original rood screen, an ornate partition between the chancel and nave.

    The interior of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari is in keeping with the minimalistic style of Franciscan churches ...

    Read more about the Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari

  • Torcello Island thumbnail
    Aerial view of the Santa Maria Assunta Cathedral on the island of Torcello in Venice, Italy.
    Lime green two person icon

    Considered the “parent island” of Venice, Torcello lies at the Venetian Lagoon's northern end. It was first settled in the 5th century, developing into a bustling commercial town with its own cathedral by the 12th century and believed to be where Venice’s population originated.

    While it once contained palaces, churches, shipyards, and docks, only two churches and a small collection of homes remain. Torcello’s cathedral is dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta and dates to 639 AD and is considered the best example of Venetian-Byzantine architecture still standing today. It features beautiful mosaics lining the interior walls, including angels carrying a medallion depicting the Lamb of God and a mosaic of the Last Judgment from the early 13th century ...

    Read more about the Torcello Island

  • Santa Maria dei Miracoli thumbnail
    A view of the upper facade of the Santa Maria dei Miracoli church in Venice, Italy.
    Yellow three person icon

    Nicknamed the “marble church”, Santa Maria dei Miracoli is one of the best-preserved examples of early Venetian Renaissance architecture. It was designed by Pietro Lombardo and built between 1481 and 1489 to enshrine a picture of the Virgin Mary, with the plans expanded in 1484 to include a new convent. The convent was built to house the nuns of St. Clare on the church's eastern edge and connected by an enclosed walkway that no longer stands. Today Santa Maria dei Miracoli is one of the most popular places to be married in Venice because of its exquisite interior.

    Santa Maria dei Miracoli is renowned for its magnificent colored marble facade that features delicate rosette, octagonal, and cross patterns, with this intricate technique continued inside ...

    Read more about the Santa Maria dei Miracoli

  • Lido di Venezia thumbnail
    Part of the Lido di Venezia sandbar in Venice, Italy.
    Lime green two person icon

    Separating the Venetian Lagoon from the Adriatic Sea, the Lido di Venezia is a 12-kilometer-long strip of sand that is considered Europe’s first beach resort. It was once the place to be seen for celebrities and royalty, with grand hotels and Art Nouveau villas lining its golden sands.

    It’s just a short vaporetto ride from St. Mark’s, in Venice, to Lido, which is more residential and less touristy than Venice's center. Small canals still weave their way between the elegant architecture, and there are plenty of waterfront restaurants where you can soak up the city views.

    Many of the beaches at the southern end of Lido are privately owned by hotels and only accessible to guests, while there are public beaches at the northern end of the island near the San Nicolo Church ...

    Read more about the Lido di Venezia

  • Campanile di San Marco thumbnail
    A raising view of the San Marco Campanile at St. Mark's Square in Venice, Italy.
    Red five person icon

    One of Venice's most iconic landmarks, the Campanile di San Marco is the soaring bell tower of Saint Mark’s Basilica. It stands alone in a corner of Piazza San Marco near the front of the basilica and towers to a height of almost 100 meters. It features a fluted brick shaft and a loggia that surrounds a belfry housing five bells. A cube tops this with faces depicting the Lion of St. Mark and the female representation of Venice, together with a golden weathervane in the form of the Archangel Gabriel.

    The Campanile di San Marco was originally constructed in the 9th century under the reign of Pietro Tribuno (887-912) to serve as a watchtower and was built on Roman foundations ...

    Read more about the Campanile di San Marco

  • Torre dell'Orologio thumbnail
    An angled view of Venice's Clock Tower at St.Mark's Square.
    Orange four person icon

    Towering on the northern side of Piazza San Marco near the entrance to the Merceria, the Torre dell’Orologio adjoins the eastern end of the Procuratie Vecchie. This Renaissance clock tower, and popular point of interest, dates to the late 15th century and was designed to exhibit Venice's wealth and strategically placed to be visible from the lagoon waters.

    The terrace at the top of the tower features two bronze figures known as the “Moors”, which strike the hours on a bell. They represent the passing of time, with one old and the other young. The sculptor is believed to have been Antonio Rizzo, while the bell itself was cast at the Arsenal in 1497 and signed by one Simeone ...

    Read more about the Torre dell'Orologio

  • Santi Giovanni e Paolo thumbnail
    Exterior view of the Santi Giovanni e Paolo church in Venice, Veneto.
    Yellow three person icon

    One of the largest churches in Venice, Santi Giovanni e Paolo is located in the Castello sestiere and was built on the remains of an earlier church. Doge Jacopo Tiepolo donated the land after he experienced a vivid dream in which white doves flew over it. Most of Venice’s doges had their funerals within Santi Giovanni de Paolo in the post-15th century, with 25 buried at the basilica.

    Santi Giovanni e Paolo is designed in an Italian Gothic style, with its brick construction completed in the 1430s. It was dedicated to two martyrs - John and Paul - of the early Christian church in Rome and built on a relatively large scale to be the principal Dominican church in Venice at the time ...

    Read more about the Santi Giovanni e Paolo

  • Campo Santa Margherita thumbnail
    An overall view of the Santa Margherita Square in Venice, Veneto, Italy.
    Yellow three person icon

    Situated near the University of Venice, Campo Santa Margherita is a prominent city square in the Dorsoduro sestiere. It is named after a church that once stood on its northern side and has long been home to fisherman’s stalls and a small vegetable market. Its proximity to the university and the St. Lucia train station makes it a popular gathering place, with a number of significant buildings lining the square.

    Campo Santa Margherita is home to the Ospizio Scrovegni, an ancient hospice that was built in accordance with the will of 15th-century noblewoman Maddalena degli Scrovegni. It’s also here that the Scuola dei Varoteri is found, a two-story brick building where the confraternity of the tanners and furriers was founded in 1311 ...

    Read more about the Campo Santa Margherita

  • Campo San Barnaba thumbnail
    A view of the Campo San Barnaba from a canal in Venice.
    Yellow three person icon

    Located in Venice's lively Dorsoduro sestiere, the Campo San Barnaba is a little square named after the San Barnaba Church that stands by it. This Neoclassical church was dedicated to the Apostle Saint Barnabas and dates to 1776. It was reconstructed based on designs by Lorenzo Boschetti. It features a 11th-century campanile with a pinecone-shaped spire that is slightly detached from the main church. The Casin dei Nobili (Aristocracy Casino) served as a lively gaming house during the 1700s. The church has been deconsecrated and now houses art exhibitions. Its facade was depicted as a library when it was featured in the 1989 film “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” ...

    Read more about the Campo San Barnaba

  • 7.6 /10
    Murano thumbnail
    A canal on a Murano island in Venice, Italy.
    Lime green two person icon

    Renowned for its long tradition of glassmaking, Murano is a series of seven islands linked by bridges in the Venetian Lagoon. Jump aboard a vaporetto and make the short ride across the lagoon to visit Murano’s Museo del Vetro and shop for locally crafted glasswork.

    The Museo del Vetro is located within the 17th-century Palazzo Giustinian and features a magnificent collection of Venetian glass dating back to Roman times. It offers a fascinating insight into the story of glassmaking throughout the centuries and makes a good first port of call.

    Glass workers were first sent to Murano in the 13th century, reportedly to reduce the risk of fires from glass furnaces that might devastate the tightly packed streets of Venice ...

    Read more about the Murano

  • 7.5 /10
    Doge's Palace thumbnail
    A view of Doge's Palace in Venice, Italy.
    Orange four person icon

    One of Venice's biggest attractions is the spectacular Doge's Palace, also known as the Palazzo Ducale. Much of the present building dates from the 15th century – although an earlier building on the spot may date back to the 9th century - has been rebuilt and added several times. The building was constructed in a dazzling pink and white marble design and has been described - fairly accurately - as an oversized wedding cake.

    The Doge's Palace was the Doge's residence – or chief magistrate – until the Venetian Empire's fall in 1797. The building still occupies a prime location in Venice – situated between the lagoon and the small square known as the Piazza San Marco (St ...

    Read more about the Doge's Palace

  • Colonna di San Marco e San Teodoro thumbnail
    View of the two famous columns of San Marco and San Teodoro in Venice, Italy.
    Red five person icon

    Located overlooking the water in Piazza San Marco, the Colonna di San Marco e San Teodoro are two columns topped with bronze and marble statues that honor Venice’s patron saints. San Marco Evangelista is depicted as a winged lion on the Column of the Lion, while San Teodoro is seen atop the other. Together with Palazzo Ducale and the Marciana Library docks, they greet visitors accessing Piazza San Marco from the sea.

    The Colonna di San Marco e San Teodoro were constructed by Nicolò Barattiero under the dogato of Sebastiano Ziani during the 12th century when Piazza San Marco was being enlarged. These grand monuments were transported from the East, with the winged lion of San Marco, an ancient bronze sculpture of either Greek or Syriac origin ...

    Read more about the Colonna di San Marco e San Teodoro

  • Santa Maria della Salute thumbnail
    An aeral view of the Santa Maria della Salute cathedral by the Grand Canal in Venice.
    Yellow three person icon

    Santa Maria della Salute, a Roman Catholic church, is positioned on the narrow Punta della Dogana that lies between the Grand Canal and the Giudecca Canal in Venice. Construction began in 1631 following a devastating outbreak of the plague, and the church was dedicated to Our Lady of Deliverance (“Salute”), with many of its artworks referencing the “Black Death”.

    The church's site was selected as it allowed for an easy procession from Piazza San Marco during the Festa della Madonna della Salute, which saw the city’s officials parade to the church in gratitude for deliverance from the plague. This is still a major event and attraction in Venice, taking place on November 21 each year ...

    Read more about the Santa Maria della Salute

  • Piazza San Marco thumbnail
    An overview of St. Mark's square in Venice, Italy.
    Red five person icon

    The emperor Napoleon supposedly described it as 'the finest drawing room in all of Europe', and if you visit Piazza San Marco in Venice, it's easy to agree with him. The square, also known as Saint Mark's Square – dedicated to the city's patron saint - is one of the most beautiful public squares in Europe.St. Mark's is also one of the few large squares given over to pedestrians rather than vehicles. It's the only square in Venice known as a piazza – the other squares are technically called campi. Of all the attractions in Venice, this famous square is undoubtedly one of the first places that tourists go see and hang out when arriving in the city.The square has always been the location of most of the Venetian state's important offices and a natural place for marches, parades, and festivals of all kinds ...

    Read more about the Piazza San Marco

  • Bridge of Sighs thumbnail
    The Bridge of Sighs in Venice, Italy.
    Orange four person icon

    The Bridge of Sighs is a bridge in Venice that creates a connection between the prison and the Palazzo Ducale (Doge's Palace). It crosses the Rio di Palazzo canal and is made of limestone.

    The bridge was built in 1600 under the supervision of Antonio Contino, the nephew of the architect of the Rialto Bridge.  

    The name stands from the stories that prisoners would get a quick glance at the beautiful city when being moved back from the Palace to their cells.

    ...

    Read more about the Bridge of Sighs

  • Museum of Naval History & Arsenal thumbnail
    A part of the Venetian Arsenal complex in Venice, Italy.
    Yellow three person icon

    Established by the Italian Royal Navy in 1919 (just after World War I), the Museo Storico Navale (Museum of Naval History) is located in Venice's Castello district. It highlights the city's naval and maritime history and its famous Arsenale (Arsenal), with a fascinating collection of ship models and old weapons.

    Venice was once the most feared maritime power in the Mediterranean, with the Arsenale the largest shipbuilding complex on the continent until the end of the 17th century. It was originally founded in 1104 and expanded over time, employing as many as 16,000 workers at its peak of production.

    The Arsenale was closely guarded to retain Venetian shipbuilding secrets, with a grand Renaissance-style arch at its land entrance ...

    Read more about the Museum of Naval History & Arsenal

  • Gallerie dell'Accademia thumbnail
    Zoomed view of the facade of the Gallerie Dell'Accademia in Venice.
    Yellow three person icon

    Dedicated to pre-19th-century art, the Gallerie dell’Accademia is one of Venice’s most famous art museums. It’s situated on the Grand Canal's southern bank and originally served as the gallery of the Accademia di Belle Arti di Venezia until the art school was relocated to the Ospedale degli Incurabili in 2004.

    The Gallerie dell’Accademia is situated at the prestigious Scuola Grande de Santa Maria della Carità (the oldest of the six Scuole Grandi) within a building that dates to 1343. The complex includes the church of Santa Maria and the monastery of the Canonici Lateranensi, which Andrea Palladio built ...

    Read more about the Gallerie dell'Accademia

  • Hotel Danieli thumbnail
    The facade of the Daneli Hotel in Venice.

    Hotel Danieli is a historic hotel in Venice, located on the Schiavoni quay, at the corner of the Rio del Vin, not far from St. Mark's Square and the Doge's Palace. It occupies the former Dandolo Palace, the name of a family that gave several doges to the city. The hotel offers a privileged view of the lagoon and San Giorgio Maggiore.

    The interior contains works of art, original furniture and Murano glass lamps, tapestries, pink marble columns.

    The palace was built in the 15th century, in the so-called 'Venetian-Gothic' style, by the Dandolo family, famous among others for the doge Enrico Dandolo, conqueror of Constantinople, who brought back the famous horses of St ...

    Read more about the Hotel Danieli

  • Riviera del Brenta thumbnail
    The Widmann-Foscari villa in the Riviera del Brenta area of Venice, Italy.
    Lime green two person icon

    The Riviera del Brenta is a beautiful countryside area by the city and lagoon of Venice. The idyllic green surroundings attracted many Venetian royalties to build their villas along the 16th-century old canal, which was only a stone’s throw from Venice.

    The famous Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio designed many of the luxurious residences of Riviera del Brenta which were more functional in design at first. The spot became very popular for the nobility from the Venetian lagoon who wanted to possess a villa on the Brenta River which was easily reached by boat from San Marco in Venice ...

    Read more about the Riviera del Brenta

  • Palazzo Fontana Rezzonico thumbnail
    A picture of the Palazzo Fontana Rezzonico along the Grand Canal in Venice.
    Yellow three person icon

    This palace, owned by the Rezzonico family, was built in the 1600s. It is located in the Sestiere Cannaregio overlooking the Grand Canal at the confluence of the Rio di San Felice between Casa Levi Morenos and Palazzo Miani Coletti Giusti, not far from Ca' d'Oro. It is also the birthplace of Carlo Rezzonico, who became Pope Clement VIII. The Rezzonico family also constructed the Ca' Rezzonico, a bigger palace located on the Grand Canal.

    The owners and patrons of the palace were the Fontanas,[ merchants from Piacenza who had settled in Venice around the middle of the 16th century ...

    Read more about the Palazzo Fontana Rezzonico

  • Punta della Dogana thumbnail
    The Punta della Dogana museum at the end of the Grand Canal in Venice.
    Yellow three person icon

    Punta della Dogana is a Venice museum of art located in an old building, used for customs, named Dogana del Mar. The 'Punta' represents the tip of a geographical triangle in Venice. The other two points of the triangle are where the Giudecca Canal falls into the Grand Canal and the spectacular Santa Maria della Salute.  The Patriarchal Seminary would be along the triangle's baseline.

    ...

    Read more about the Punta della Dogana

  • Hotel Bauer Palazzo thumbnail
    The Hotel Bauer Palazzo by the Grand Canal in Venice.

    The Hotel Bauer Palazzo is a luxury hotel, near Piazza San Marco, by the Grand Canal in Venice. It was initially inaugurated as the Grand Hotel d'Italie Bauer-Grünwald in 1880. The hotel combines a Venetian palace of the 1700s with a newer structure constructed in the mid-20th century.

    ...

    Read more about the Hotel Bauer Palazzo

  • Palazzo Pisani Moretta thumbnail
    A front view of the Palazzo Pisani Moretta in Venice, Italy.
    Yellow three person icon

    Nestled between Palazzo Tiepolo and Palazzo Barbarigo della Terrazza on the banks of the Grand Canal, Palazzo Pisani Moretta is a historic 15th-century residence built by the Bembo family. It later became home to the wealthy Pisani Moretta family and was extended over successive centuries, eventually taking on its current appearance in the 18th century.

    The facade of Palazzo Pisani Moretta is designed in a flamboyant Venetian Gothic style, with arched doorways opening onto the canal and mullioned windows with point arches along its two floors. The interior features ornate Baroque decorations, with works on display by popular Venetian artists at the time such as Tiepolo, Guarana and Angeli ...

    Read more about the Palazzo Pisani Moretta

  • 6.5 /10
    Ca' da Mosto thumbnail
    The porch of the Ca da Mostro in Venice.
    Yellow three person icon

    Ca' da Mosto is one of Venice's oldest palaces. It is located in the Cannaregio district and overlooks the Grand Canal not far from the Rialto Bridge. Renovated many times, it presents an interesting facade partly built according to the stylistic features of the Venetian-Byzantine style architecture.

    Its construction is generally traced back to the 13th century when the da Mosto family entered the Venetian patriciate. However, the portego on the waterfront may be even older. It is likely that the owner of the palace was Marco da Mosto ...

    Read more about the Ca' da Mosto

  • San Zulian Church thumbnail
    Behind the altar in San Zulian Church.
    Yellow three person icon

    San Giuliano (in Venetian San Zulian) is a Catholic church in Venice, Italy. The church depends on the parish of San Salvador. It is located in the sestiere of San Marco, not far from St. Mark's Square.

    Outdoor

    The church is in Renaissance style; its plan is rectangular. The façade was designed by Jacopo Sansovino, and finished after his death in 1570 by Alessandro Vittoria. It was financed by Thomas Rangone (Thomas Philologus) philologist and physicist, in exchange for making it a monument to his own glory. The bronze statue representing him is attributed to Sansovino ...

    Read more about the San Zulian Church

  • Casanova Museum thumbnail
    The poster for the Casanova Museum in Venice.
    Yellow three person icon

    The Casanova Museum and Experience is a multimedia museum dedicated to one of the greatest figures in Venice's history, Giacomo Casanova.

    The museum's objective is to revive the colors and emotions of the city of the Doges through the life and thoughts of Casanova. And above all to rehabilitate the man of letters, too often reduced to the most famous seducer in history.

    "We should reconsider him a little. Abroad, we study him at school. Here in Italy, we're still a bit stuck on the cliché of the lover. But he is so much more, he is a great scholar. He is a great personality with specific virtues, which needs to be explained and brought to people's attention," says Andrea Cosentino, the Casanova Museum director ...

    Read more about the Casanova Museum

  • Palazzo Soranzo thumbnail
    The Palazzo Soranzo by the Campo San Polo.
    Yellow three person icon

    Palazzo Soranzo is a palace composed of two adjacent buildings located in the Sestiere San Polo on Campo San Polo's east side.

    The palace was built in the 14th century by the Soranzos, a noble family that included a Doge of the Republic of Venice, Giovanni Soranzo, as well as 16 'Procurators of San Marco'. Giovanni Soranzo let Dante Alighieri live in this residence when he was the ambassador of the noble family Da Polenta from Ravenna. This building was only half the present one's size and was gradually enlarged in the 16th century by Giorgione, whose work, however, nothing has been preserved.

    The main façade, as was Venetian tradition, faced a canal, but this was filled in 1761 so that from then on, the palace stood directly on Campo San Polo ...

    Read more about the Palazzo Soranzo

  • 6.5 /10
    Palazzo Falier thumbnail
    The Palazzo Falier viewed from the canal.
    Yellow three person icon

    Palazzo Falier is a palace in Venice in the Veneto region of Italy. It is located by the Rio dei Santi Apostoli canal in the historic sestieri (neighborhood) of Cannaregio. The former Doge and military commander who tried a coup in April 1355, Marino Falier, took residence in this Palace before being executed.

    The building originated in a simple form in the 11th century, was destroyed by fire, and was rebuilt in 1105. Subsequently, it was frequently rebuilt, which also partially changed the structure. Today, there is a hotel on the 1st floor.

    Architecture

    The palace stands on Venetian arcades and arches by the canal while presenting itself over the adjacent square with a particular monumentality ...

    Read more about the Palazzo Falier

  • Royal Gardens of Venice thumbnail
    The Royal Gardens Park in Venice.
    Yellow three person icon

    The Giardini Reali (Royal Gardens) of Venice are public gardens, created in 1806 in Venice and covering 5,500 square meters. They are located between Piazza San Marco and the Bacino di San Marco and close to the main vaporetto's pier. It is a small patch of greenery that can be admired from the Grand Canal.

    They were built in 1806, at the request of Napoleon, who had the project to restructure St. Mark's Square. The garden is set on a plot of land previously occupied by the Granai di Terranova (Barns of Terra Nova), a fourteenth-century Gothic building that served as a warehouse for the market and for small shops ...

    Read more about the Royal Gardens of Venice

  • Campo della Maddalena thumbnail
    The Campo della Maddalena square.
    Yellow three person icon

    Campo della Maddalena is one of the most representative squares in Venice, but which most visitors ignore. A small campo that doesn't look like much, close to the busy axis that goes from the train station to the Rialto Bridge.

    It's a typical small city square in Venice. A well in the center used to supply water to the square inhabitants with houses all around with their typical high Venetian fireplaces. Entering the campo, you will feel immersed in a historical setting. On one side, you have distinguishable buildings like the Church of Santa Maria Maddalena and the Palazzo Magno with its famous portal ...

    Read more about the Campo della Maddalena

  • 6.5 /10
    Campo San Stin thumbnail
    Part of the Campo San Stin Plaza in Venice.
    Yellow three person icon

    Campo San Stin is a field in Venice, in the San Polo district, not far from Campo dei Frari and the Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista.

    The plaza dates back to around the sixteenth-century. It has the characteristics of a Venetian meeting place. The house of Barbacani, the other low houses all around, and the Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista nearby make this area particularly revealing about how residents used to display their wealth.

    In the painting by Bernardo Bellotto, we see the square as it was before the demolition of the Church of San Stin by Napoleon.

    The beautiful well in the center of the field has bas-relief decorations dedicated to the saint ...

    Read more about the Campo San Stin

  • Campo Bandiera e Moro Square thumbnail
    The Campo Bandiera e Moro in Venice.
    Yellow three person icon

    The Campo Bandiera e Moro is a city square on the eastern part of Venice's main island. 

    The name of the square was named Campo Bragora, from the island's name, in the first half of its history. But then it was renamed Campo Bandiera e Moro in honor of the Bandiera brothers (Emilio and Attilio) and Domenico Moro who fought and died for Italy in 1844 during Cosenza rebellions.

    The plaza is especially famous for its church of San Giovanni in Bragora. Many Venetian palaces surround the camp, like the gothic-styled Morosini one built in the 14th century. There is also the Soderni palace, the historical birthplace of Emilio and Attilio Bandiera ...

    Read more about the Campo Bandiera e Moro Square

  • Campo Santa Fosca thumbnail
    The Campo Santa Fosca Church and Paolo Sarpi monument.
    Yellow three person icon

    The Campo Santa Fosca is a square in the Cannaregio sisteri (neighborhood) of Venice. It is mainly famous for its church and a statue dedicated to Paolo Sarpi, a highly regarded Venetian of the 16-17th centuries.

    The church of Santa Fosca (Chiesa di Santa Fosca) is a religious building in Venice, located in the district of Cannaregio. This church must be distinguished from the small ancient church of Santa Fosca, in Torcello, attached to Santa Maria Assunta's cathedral.

    History

    Founded around the tenth century, the building has undergone many alterations. The current appearance dates from the restoration of the first half of the eighteenth century ...

    Read more about the Campo Santa Fosca

  • Casa di Gardella alle Zattere thumbnail
    The Casa di Gardella alle Zattere.
    Yellow three person icon

    The house at Zattere is a multi-story residential building in Venice, located on the fondamenta delle Zattere in front of the Giudecca Canal.

    Built between 1958 and 1962 to a design by architect Ignazio Gardella, it is a rare and important example of modern architecture in the lagoon city.

    The house stands along the fondamenta delle Zattere, facing the Giudecca canal; the side façade faces the narrow Calle dello Zuccaro. The eastern boundary borders the church of the Spirito Santo. The main façade has five floors, except for the small portion adjacent to the church, which is slightly set back and limited to four floors to allow some detachment between the two buildings ...

    Read more about the Casa di Gardella alle Zattere

  • Palazzo Dolfin Manin thumbnail
    The Palazzo Dolfin Manin from the Grand Canal.
    Orange four person icon

    Palazzo Dolfin Manin is a Venetian palace in the Sestiere San Marco, whose main façade overlooks the Grand Canal. The building is located not far from the Rialto Bridge, next to Palazzo Bembo. Today the building houses a branch of the Banca d'Italia.

    The palace was built for the Dolfin family starting in 1536 when the new one replaced the two previous buildings. Zuane Manin, sole heir and retainer of Doge Andrea Gritti, had become Proveditore generale in campo in 1529, Podestà of Verona in 1532. After his return, the two medieval houses, the family-owned near the Rialto Bridge, were replaced by a representative building ...

    Read more about the Palazzo Dolfin Manin

  • Rio Tera Lista di Spagna thumbnail
    Part of the Rio Terà Lista di Spagna street.
    Orange four person icon

    The street passes over an old waterway canal that was filled (Rio Terà means buried stream). It is located near the train station and is usually a bustling shopping street. It used to also lead to the palace that was once occupied by the Spanish ambassadors. 

    ...

    Read more about the Rio Tera Lista di Spagna

  • 6.5 /10
    Palazzo Ariani thumbnail
    The Ariani Palace.
    Yellow three person icon

    Palazzo Ariani Minotto Cigogna is a Venetian palace. It is located in the sestiere-district of Dorsoduro, almost directly in front of the Church of Angelo San Raffaele and near the Church of San Sebastiano. The adjacent Ponte del Soccorso connects it to Ca' Zenobio degli Armeni.

    A Palazzo Ariani is documented in this place already in 845. However, the present building dates back to the 13th century and was the residence of the Arian family, which was part of the Venetian patriciate until its extinction in the 17th century (the last scion was Giacomo Arian) ...

    Read more about the Palazzo Ariani

  • Palazzo Morosini Brandolin thumbnail
    The Palazzo Morosini Brandolin.
    Yellow three person icon

    Palazzo Morosini Brandolin is a palace in Venice in the Veneto region of Italy. It is located in the Sestiere San Polo overlooking the Grand Canal, between the Rio di San Cassiano and the Fondamenta dell'Olio, opposite the Ca' d'Oro.

    The Morosini family had the palace built in the Ca' Foscari style in the second half of the 15th century. In the 18th century, the palace passed to the Brandolini family, then to the Lagos and the Topans. Today the palace is divided into various condominiums.

    Architecture

    The palace is an example of Florentine and Venetian Gothic architecture ...

    Read more about the Palazzo Morosini Brandolin

  • Equestrian statue of Bartolomeo Colleoni thumbnail
    The Equestrian statue of Bartolomeo Colleoni.
    Yellow three person icon

    The Euqestrian Statue of Bartolomeo Colleoni is a bronze monument located in front of the San Zanipolo basilica in Venice, by the Campo dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo . The final artwork is the sequential creation of two sculptors, Andrea Del Verrochio from Florence from 1483 to 1488, and then by Alessandro Leopardi who made the final bronze casting of the statue.

    Bartolomeo Colleoni was a famous Italian condottiere of the fifteenth century. From 1454 he served the Republic of Venice with the title of general-in-chief (Capitano Generale). He died in 1475, leaving a will in which he bequeathed part of his fortune, valued at 231,983 ducats, to Venice. A codicil was added to the will ...

    Read more about the Equestrian statue of Bartolomeo Colleoni

  • Porta della Carta thumbnail
    The Carta Gate.
    Orange four person icon

    Between St. Mark's Basilica and the Doge's Palace, there is one of the two entrances to the Palace itself, a majestic gateway all carved marble and in the center the Lion of St. Mark with, kneeling before him, the Doge Foscari.

    The work on the Porta della Carta began in 1439, ending in 1442. Together with his father, Bartolomeo Bon was commissioned to execute some of the decorations of the Palace after it had already been largely constructed. 

    It is high and narrow because it is set between the Ducal Palace on the right and the Basilica of San Marco on the left, where two slender pilasters flank the entrance with niches that take up the motifs of the balcony on the Pier ...

    Read more about the Porta della Carta

  • Palazzo dei Dieci Savi thumbnail
    The Palazzo dei Dieci by the Rialto Bridge.
    Orange four person icon

    The Palazzo dei Dieci Savi is a 16th-century palace that used to house the old Republic of Venice's finance minister until 1797. Antonio Abbondi was the architect in charge of its construction. Until a few years ago, it was the office of Venice's water management department. It is located just by the Rialto Bridge and the Grand Canal.

    The palace has a façade on the Ruga degli Osei and another one on the Grand Canal. The first one has a portico, made of 37 arches, whose ceiling, is covered with frescoes and crossed vaults, most of which are in good condition ...

    Read more about the Palazzo dei Dieci Savi

  • Campo San Salvador thumbnail
    View of the Campo San Salvador.
    Orange four person icon

    The Campo San Salvador is a small city square mostly used for transit on Venice's Rialto-San Marco or Rialto-Accademia route. Nevertheless, the campo merits a stop for those passing through to admire the facade of the church of San Salvador and, through the door of the palace adjacent to the church, its cloister. In the field there is also the Scuola Grande di San Teodoro.

    In this field, there was a deep well with a basin of water where travelers used to tie their horses to water them because of a decree dated February 29, 1287. It was forbidden to ride the Merceria in the saddle of horses.

    The church of San Salvador has very ancient origins and was built by the Carosii and Gattolosi families ...

    Read more about the Campo San Salvador

  • Venice Mercerie thumbnail
    A street in Venice's Mercerie.
    Orange four person icon

    The Mercerie ( Marzarie in Venetian) is a set of streets that make up the main commercial artery of the city of Venice. It is located in the sestiere (district) of San Marco and connects St. Mark's Square to the Rialto area.

    The Mercerie holds the core shopping businesses of the lagoon city. Since the early days of the Republic of Venice, it was the main place to negotiate and buy imported goods. For a time, the stores selling precious fabrics and textiles were open all night long. 

    Along the Mercerie street and surrounding areas, the first floors of all the buildings on both sides of the street are occupied almost exclusively by stores ...

    Read more about the Venice Mercerie

  • Palazzi Barbaro thumbnail
    The Palazzi Barbaro by the Grand Canal.
    Yellow three person icon

    The Palazzi Barbaro (also called Ca'Barbaro) are a pair of palaces joined together on the Grand Canal in Venice, which was the Barbaro Family's official residence. The first of the two palaces is made in the Gothic style and was built in 1425 by Giovanni Bon, a Venetian master. The second construction was executed in the Baroque style with a design made in 1694 by Antonio Gaspari, one of the greatest architects of the 17th century.

    Gaspari's extension was made to the family residence endowing it with a large ballroom. It has magnificent Baroque stucco work and paintings with motifs from Ancient Rome by masters such as Sebastiano Ricci (the painting "Abduction of the Sabines") and works by Giambattista Piazzeta ...

    Read more about the Palazzi Barbaro

  • * Regular pre-pandemic touristic activity level.

    You can also rate and vote for your favorite Venice sightseeing places, famous historical landmarks, and best things to do in Venice by visiting the individual Venice attraction pages.