The house at Zattere is a multi-story residential building in Venice, located on the fondamenta delle Zattere in front of the Giudecca Canal.
Built between 1958 and 1962 to a design by architect Ignazio Gardella, it is a rare and important example of modern architecture in the lagoon city.
The house stands along the fondamenta delle Zattere, facing the Giudecca canal; the side façade faces the narrow Calle dello Zuccaro. The eastern boundary borders the church of the Spirito Santo. The main façade has five floors, except for the small portion adjacent to the church, which is slightly set back and limited to four floors to allow some detachment between the two buildings.
The main façade has five floors, except for the small portion adjacent to the church, slightly set back and limited to four floors to introduce a detachment between the two buildings. The ground floor's height varies in the two parts that make up the building: in part facing the canal, the ground floor is raised, obtaining some basement spaces used as cellars.
The main facade is covered in brick grit plaster, with details (the plinth, balcony parapets, and window frames) in biancone marble from Vicenza; the design of the facade is strongly characterized by the irregular position of the windows and balconies, evoking the character of the minor architecture of old Venetian houses. The service spaces are illuminated by groups of small square windows inclined at 45 degrees.