The Old Town medieval Square in Prague is located in the heart of the Czech capital's historic center. The old, often very colorful buildings that line the square give it its character and offer by their architecture a shortcut to the history of the city.
The buildings bordering the square are of various styles, ranging from Gothic with the Church of Our Lady of Týn, the main church of the Old Town since the 14th century, to Baroque with the Church of St. Nicholas.
- The famous astronomical clock from 1410, one of the most famous and oldest in the world, is located in the Old Town Hall.
- The medieval tower of the town hall is open to the public and offers panoramic views of the Old Town.
- A museum is located in the baroque Kinský Palace.
- The picturesque Stone Bell House is in Gothic style and dates back to the Middle Ages.
- The so-called A La Minute house is decorated with Renaissance sgraffito.
Statues and memorials
The square houses the monument to the religious reformer Jan Hus, which was inaugurated in 1915 on the 500th anniversary of his death.
On November 3, 1918, the Column of Mary erected in the 17th century after the Thirty Years' War was demolished to celebrate the country's independence from the former Habsburg Empire. After years of controversy, the column was erected again on the square in 2020.
Church of Our Lady of Týn
The Church of Our Lady of Týn dominates the Old Town Square with its two imposing towers. This Gothic building was begun in 1365 under Charles IV. Our Lady of the Týn was the church of the Prague Hussites until 1621. The Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe, who died in 1601, is buried here.
The tower of the Town Hall
The tower of the square is 69.5 meters high and offers a magnificent view of Prague from its panoramic gallery. It was added in 1364 to what was the private residence of Volfin of Kamen. It features an astronomical clock built in 1490 by Hanus, whose characters come to life above the upper part's zodiac signs. The lower part of the clock consists of a calendar.