Located at the confluence of the Mulde and Elbe Rivers, Dessau has long been associated with the Bauhaus school of design. Founded by Walter Gropius in 1919, Bauhaus design aesthetics were applied in the construction of numerous buildings across Dessau, many of which have now been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Of particular significance is the Bauhaus Building, which was designed by Walter Gropius from 1925–26. It is considered a seminal work of European modernism and employs the principles of functionality with pioneering materials like reinforced concrete and glass. It was built as an institute of higher education but heavily damaged during World War II bombings. After extensive renovations, it was established as the seat of the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation and is once again a hub for experimental design, research and education.
Also of note are the Master’s Houses in Dessau that are distinguished by their white, cubic structures and the complex connections between the exterior and in-terior spaces. They served as a home and creative space for some of the most influential Bauhaus artists working in Dessau, including Lyonel Feininger, Paul Klee and Wassily Kandinsky.
To celebrate the centenary of the founding of the Bauhaus, the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation is constructing the Bauhaus Museum Dessau where their extensive collection will be displayed to the public. It is being designed as a “building within a building”, featuring a soaring steelwork block inside a glass envelope. In addition to permanent exhibits detailing the history and artistic legacy of Bauhaus, the museum will also present temporary exhibitions of contemporary Bauhaus works.