This is the National Museum of Natural History which is administered by Smithsonian Institute, located in the National Mall in Washington DC. This is probably one of the museums where you can get to visit any day of the year except during Christmas.
It opens its doors from 10.00 am to 5.30 pm. These are the regular hours, but they offer extended hours of up to 7.30 pm on certain days. Its doors were opened to the public on March 17, 1910. Admission is free.
The museum has a collection of more than five hundred million specimens on
display. Apart from the exhibits the museum also has many reference and research materials. It is home to over 180 natural history scientists.
The following areas of the museum offer the major attractions for visitors;
• Hall of Geology, Gems, and Minerals: where you can get to see some of the most famous minerals and gems.
• Hall of Human Origins: where you get to learn about the origins of man kind.
• Dinosaurs/Hall of Paleobiology: get to see some of the animals that are now extinct
• Hall of Mammals: where the adoptability of mammals is on display.
• Insect Zoo: where you can see live insects on display.
Others include; African Voices, Ocean Hall, Partners In Evolution, Western Cultures Hall, Korea Gallery and Hall of Bones.