In Concord, North Carolina, you can find a vast motor sports complex named the "Charlotte Motor Speedway." This huge facility is famous for its 2.4 kilometer or 1.5 miles of quad oval track that is usually used during NASCAR races.

The speedway was created by Bruton Smith in 1959, to serve as the home track of NASCAR teams based in nearby Charlotte. In June 19, 1961, the Speedway played host to the first-ever World 600 NASCAR race. In 1988, the Smith Tower was opened. This tower houses a gift shop, corporate offices, and the Speedway Club, a dining and entertainment complex.

In 1984, it became the first sports area in the country to offer living accommodations when 40 condominiums overlooking turn 1 were erected. In 1991, 12 additional units were built.

Presently, the Charlotte Motor Speedway is operated and owned by Speedway Motor sports, with President Marcus G. Smith (son of Bruton) at the helm of the company.

The Charlotte Motor Speedway is located on 2,000 acres or 810 acres land. It also features a 0.40 kilometer or 0.25 mile-drag race strip, named the ZMAX drag way. This four-lane, all-concrete drag strip is the only one of its kind in the country. It plays host to a number of National Hot Rod Association events.

Beside the concrete drag strip is a clay oval where dirt racing competitions such as that of the World of Outlaws dirt are held.