The Tennessee Aquarium, near Chattanooga, is housed in a remarkable building and boasts the largest freshwater aquarium in the world. The River Journey and Ocean Journey buildings provide a fantastic home to over 12,000 animals, fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and so much more. This is an amazing facility to spend a day or two, and provides an array of fun and information to visitors.
There is so much to see and do at the Tennessee Aquarium, and include such sites and activities as:
1. Visit the Aquarium – the largest and highest-rated in the US, as well as one of the top ten tourist attractions in the country. See an amazing variety of sharks, stingrays, weedy seadragons, seahorses, and of course a huge collection of different species of fish.
2. Go on the Chattanooga Riverboat Cruise on the aquarium's Gorge Explorer, which is a high-speed catamaran. Travel with a naturalist who will identify wildlife and interesting historic areas along the journey.
3. For the bird watchers in the group, this aquarium is home to an array of our favorite avian friends from sub-Antartic penguins, to the Macaws of tropical forests, to local wood ducks, this provides an interesting assortment of our fine feathered friends.
4. For the visiting horticulturalist, a wide assortment of plants are present including beautiful butterfly plants, rainforest plants, bromeliads, and other plants from around the world.
5. The Butterfly Garden contains the most exotically stunning creatures – those beautiful butterflies.
Visitors to this area must spend a day at the Tennessee Aquarium.