Taking the back roads is a popular way of exploring this great country, and the Scenic Byway 12 is one of the most incredible scenic highways in American. Starting at Red Canyon and meandering 124 miles to Bolder Mountain, and is one of the most incredible back roads in the country. Plan in spending a day making the drive, or a few days to camp out along the way or park the RV.
There are some spectacular places to visit along the Scenic Byway 12 in Utah, that include such sites as:
1. Starting at Red Canyon, drive through the incredible rock formations that are vermillion colored with the great Ponderosa pines lining the roadside along the way.
2. Along the way is Bryce Canyon National Park with some of the most incredible scenic lookouts in the world. There are also some great trails for hiking, backpacking, and horseback riding here.
3. Another great area to visit is Pine Lake, for visitors who enjoy fishing and would like to spend a few nights camping in this area.
4. The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument has some amazing plateaus, incredible rock formations, sandstone canyons, and photographic rivers and canyons.
5. Make sure to stop and see the petrified geysers at Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.
6. Another great stop is the Escalante Petrified Forest State Park which is another great stopping place for fishermen and campers.
For probably the most spectacular drive along a 124 mile stretch in the western United States, be sure to travel the incredible Scenic Byway 12.