One of Berlin’s largest squares, the Gendarmenmarkt is a charismatic corner of the city and a popular meeting point for both locals and tourists. It’s flanked by three historic buildings - the Konzerthaus, the Französischer Dom and the Berliner Dom - and was named after a regiment of the Gendarmerie that once had their stables here.
The Gendarmenmarkt was originally laid out at the end of the 17th century as the Linden-Markt and created by Johann Arnold Nering, with Georg Christian Unger reconstructing the square in 1773. The square and its buildings suffered extensive damage during Allied bombings in World War II, with almost all restored to their former glory today.
The Französischer Dom was built by the Huguenot community at the start of the 18th century and modeled on a church in Charenton-Saint-Maurice, France. Today it houses a Huguenot museum and restaurant, as well as a viewing platform where you can look out over the Gendarmenmarkt.
At the southern end of the square is the Deutscher Dom, a Lutheran church designed by Martin Grünberg and built by Giovanni Simonetti in 1708. It was completely destroyed in a fire during World War II and rebuilt as a museum dedicated to German history.
Built on the remains of the National Theatre, the Konzerthaus Berlin was constructed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel in 1821 incorporating the columns and outside walls of the original building. It was reconstructed following damage during World War II and today is the home of the Konzerthausorchester Berlin, which is one of Germany’s most popular symphony orchestras.
In addition to its magnificent architecture, the Gendarmenmarkt also features a statue of renowned poet Friedrich Schiller at its center and hosts one of the city’s most popular Christmas markets.