Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff built the Sanssouci Palace between 1745 and 1747 to be a relaxing escape for King Frederick away from the Berlin court. Its name “Sanssouci” exemplifies this, translating from French to “without concerns” or “carefree”. The palace's design and decoration were so influenced by King Frederick’s personal taste that its style has become known as “Frederician Rococo”.
During the 19th century, the Sanssouci Palace became the residence of Frederick William IV, who enlarged the palace and beautified its gardens. Following World War II, the palace and its grounds were opened to the public as a tourist attraction. After Germany’s reunification in 1990, King Frederick’s body was returned to Sanssouci and buried in a tomb overlooking his gardens.
Today the Sanssouci Palace and its grounds are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with guided tours on offer through its lavish rooms. Visitors are greeted in the “Entrance Hall”, with the adjoining “Marble Hall” being the principal entertaining room. This white and gold oval hall is topped by a large cupola, with Carrara marble paired columns and gilded ornaments.