Established in 1936 as a Nazi concentration camp for political prisoners, Sachsenhausen (“Saxon’s House”) is situated near the town of Oranienburg to the north of Berlin. It served as an administrative center for concentration camps across Germany, with Schutzstaffel (SS) officers being trained here before being posted elsewhere.
Initially Sachsenhausen was not intended as an extermination camp, with executions of Soviet prisoners of war done primarily by hanging or shooting. However, a gas chamber and ovens were constructed by Anton Kaindl in March 1943, giving Sachsenhausen the means to kill prisoners on a much larger scale ...
Read more about the Sachsenhausen