One of the greatest fortifications situated on a coast is Fort Adams, Rhode Island, just across the harbor from Newport. This is a tremendous historical treasure in United States History that housed soldiers between the years of 1824 and 1950, and today it's an excellent place to stop, explore, and learn about the history of this magnificent architectural master work. Situated on Narragansett Bay, this was a natural location for an innate harbor and a perfect location for Rhode Island's citizens to thwart an enemy attack.
There are several fascinating areas to explore around Fort Adams, and plenty of things to experience, including:
- Take a tour of the casemates and learn about this bombproof enclosed space that contained the cannon soldiers used to fire at invaders.
- Walk around the Bastions, which is a photographer's delight because the view is spectacular of the surrounding harbor and bay.
- Explore the tunnels that crisscross underneath the main sections of the fort.
- Attend the Civil War Living History Weekend when the New England Brigade re-enacts the battles fought here
- Participate in the games and crafts that are available for guests during the Living History weekends.
When traveling to the smallest state, Rhode Island, take a trip to the spectacular area around Newport and make sure to visit the historic Fort Adams. This is a U.S. military post dating back over 190 years that was quite prominent in the Civil War, plus it's a great place to learn some history.